6 Portobello Mushrooms
1 Cup fresh Kale
1 Cup cooked Quinoa
2 Sweet Potatoes, baked
Pinch of salt, Pinch of pepper
Butter ⇢ Vegan option: Earth Balance Vegan Butter Spreads
(Tip: Bake the sweet potatoes and cook the quinoa ahead of time)
‣ Steam your kale with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder while you are preparing the next step.
‣ Clean your mushrooms, and if stem is still attached, remove stem. Dice stem and mix in with the quinoa, adding salt and pepper to taste.
‣ Preheat oven to 350°F
‣ Grease the pan you will use for baking, and place your mushrooms on the pan, underside facing up.
Option: Lightly brush oil onto the underside of the mushroom.
‣ Spoon your quinoa mixture into the mushroom bowl, pressing lightly to compress, and filling to the mushroom's rim.
‣ Place a few steamed kale leaves on top of the quinoa, pressing lightly to compress.
‣ Dice your sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch squares, and place on top of the kale. Pressing lightly so the mound is stable.
‣ Place a teaspoon of butter on top of the sweet potato.
‣ Option: Top with more quinoa and kale for aesthetics.
‣ Place your stuffed mushrooms in the oven for 15-18 minutes.
‣ Remove, and serve!
I also used this recipe for an easy put-together dish for the morning of Mother's Day. A tip for quick assembly would be to bake the sweet potatoes and cook the quinoa the night before. The morning of your event, simply assemble your stuffed mushrooms per the directions above, and bake when you arrive to the party!